To provide design related assistance and guidance to anyone considering development, improvement, or renovation of a non-residential structure (conforming or nonconforming) permitted within the commercial zoning districts of Bethany Beach. To provide that same assistance and guidance to anyone considering development, improvement, or renovation of a non-residential structure permitted in any Residential and MORE Zoning Districts as a special exception and/or variance. Such structures include but are not limited to churches, libraries, conference centers, professional buildings, storage facilities, medical and emergency facilities.
Scope of Work
1. Provide guidance to the developers, planners and/or architects in the design of exteriors features, and fixtures of Non-Residential Structures. Approve exterior plans for those structures meeting the requirements of the current Bethany Beach Non-Residential Design Guidelines.
2. Provide for the design and construction of attractive and traditional Non-Residential Structures.
3. Provide for the continuation of commercial uses and basic services in the C-1 and C-2 Commercial Districts.
4. Provide for a safe and friendly environment for all whom live, work, visit, vacation and shop in Bethany Beach.
5. Reinforce the unique character within each Residential, MORE and Commercial zoning district by ensuring the complementary nature of adjacent non-residential structures.
6. Provide for the enhancement of pedestrian experience by approving only those building plans, which include signage, street-facing design, exterior materials, and landscaping as required in the Bethany Beach Non-Residential Design Guidelines.